Two teenage girls were charged Monday with writing a note last month indicating a bomb would go off during lunch at Canfield High School, the second time in two weeks a girl was charged with making a bomb threat at city schools.
Canfield police said Monday they charged two 10th grade girls, 15 and 16, with making false alarms and obstructing official business in Mahoning County Juvenile Court.
Police said they worked closely with school administration during the investigation. Police said both girls gave investigators “false and misleading statements.”
Officials at the time evacuated the school and dismissed students at about 11 a.m. March 7 after students found a note in the hallway outside a restroom that said a bomb would detonate during the lunch hour.
Police said they never believed the threat was credible but implemented safety procedures immediately. They spent several hours combing through the school looking for anything suspicious, though nothing was found.
“Providing a safe and secure learning environment for our children is the first priority for the Canfield Police Department and the Canfield Local Schools administration and staff,” the police department said in a statement. “Any incident that undermines that safe and secure learning environment will be thoroughly investigated. If such an incident is determined to be criminal in nature, charges will be filed.”
Last week, Canfield police filed juvenile charges of making false alarms against an 11-year-old girl who police said wrote a bomb threat on a note on March 20, causing Canfield Middle School to be evacuated.
Police said the fifth-grade girl’s parents cooperated throughout the investigation. The school was evacuated and police found nothing suspicious during a sweep of the school.
Students returned to classes shortly afterwards.