25 ill from carbon monoxide at Ohio bowling alley

STOW, Ohio (AP) — Authorities say 25 people with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning were taken to hospitals after participants in a senior citizens’ bowling league became ill at a northeast Ohio bowling alley.

Stow Fire Department Capt. Mark Stone says a woman passed out and others complained of headaches and nausea Thursday at Sto-Kent Family Entertainment, about 30 miles southeast of Cleveland. Stone says the amount of carbon monoxide in the air at the facility was 10 times greater than the acceptable level.

He says an estimated 80 people were evacuated, and there was extra concern because older people can be especially susceptible to effects of carbon monoxide exposure. No update was available later Thursday on those taken to hospitals.

The bowling alley is closed while officials investigate what caused the leak.

blog comments powered by Disqus