Body Recovered From Mecca Fire

[lin_video src= service=syndicaster width=480 height=510 div_id=videoplayer-1365377154 type=script]

Investigators returned to a Mecca Township farm Sunday morning to continue looking through the debris at 4984 North Park Avenue.

The Ohio State Fire Marshal,  Mecca Township Fire Department, Trumbull County Sheriff’s Office and the coroner’s office were all on scene for the investigation.

A body was recovered from the basement in the house.

Officials believe the man found buried in the rubble is Daniel Jibotian, 53, a former Warren Water Department employee.

The house fire rekindled twice early Sunday morning, once around 1 a.m. and again around 5 a.m.  High winds in the area may be the cause of the fire rekindling.

A number of events on Saturday led up to the recovery effort.  Fire crews were first called for a barn fire at the house.  Jibotian’s wife also called 911 telling them she had received a text from her husband saying he was going to kill himself.

When crews arrived at the house they found the barn fully engulfed.  The sheriff’s department said ammunition inside the barn went off because of all the heat, and sounded like an explosion.

Authorities also noticed smoke coming from the house, but it wasn’t safe to go in.  They tried making contact with Jibotian, but were unsuccessful.

A neighbor said that Jibotian worked at city of Warren’s Water Treatment facility.  An employee there, who went to high school with him, said Jibotian worked with for the facility as an electrician.

Jibotian’s friends and family stood across the road from the crime scene, leaning on one another for support.

Just down the road, Becky Chapin, who was leaving church told us she lived in the exact house in the 1950’s, and has fond memories.

“I’ve lost a lot of memories there,” she said. “We lived in a farm, of course, I milked cows and so on, but I think the biggest memories is when I met my husband, our courting day there.”

Chapin said she didn’t know Jibotian.

The fire marshal will now wait on reports from the sheriff’s department and coroner’s office before releasing its report, which will probably be at least six weeks from now.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s