Firefighters Battle Blaze in Austintown

Firefighters Battle Blaze in Austintown
The fire department said the homeowner had just finished cooking on the charcoal grill and was inside the house when an explosion was heard.

[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?div_id=videoplayer-1365391264&height=510&page_count=5&pf_id=9626&va_id=4008879&width=480&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=480 height=510 div_id=videoplayer-1365391264 type=script]

An Austintown home goes up in flames after a charcoal grill ignited a blaze in the back of the house.

Around 7 p.m. Sunday, multiple fire crews responded to a house fire in the 4,000 block of Heritage Drive.  The home was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived on scene.

The fire department said the homeowner had just finished cooking on the charcoal grill and was inside the house when an explosion was heard.

Fire investigators believe the charcoal grill somehow ignited and spread, causing propane tanks on a nearby gas grill to explode further fueling the fire.

“Normally, if residents are home and they’re grilling and they see smoke, normally we’re able to get here and put the fire out immediately, but because it was fed by propane this was 10 times larger from the beginning,” said Andy Frost, Fire Chief, Austintown Fire Department.

Neighbor Mike Vadas said, “It was, within five minutes, the flames were shooting through the house…through the roof”.

A house next door had some heat damage.

Chief Frost said grills should be kept at least 15 to 20 feet away from your house.

blog comments powered by Disqus