OH inmate hunger strike persists over media access

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A spokeswoman says three of five Ohio inmates sentenced to death after the 1993 Lucasville riot are continuing a hunger strike aimed at gaining sit-down media access on their cases.

Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction spokeswoman JoEllen Smith said Monday another three inmates have joined the effort.

Smith said the strike begun on the 20th anniversary of the riot April 11 peaked last week with seven inmate participants.

Some additional inmates are refusing food for unrelated issues.

A renewed request Monday by The Associated Press to interview the Lucasville Five was denied. Smith cited safety, security and department media policy.

No in-person media interviews have been granted with the men since the 11-day uprising, the longest deadly prison riot in U.S. history. Ten people, including a corrections officer, died.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus