Crews Battle Hubbard Fire

Babcock Lumber Fire
A fire broke out Friday at Babcock Lumber.

[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/iframe?aspect_ratio=16×9&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&page_count=5&pf_id=9627&show_title=1&va_id=4034276&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=360 type=iframe]

Firefighters in Hubbard worked to stamp out a fire at a lumber company Friday.

Flames broke out at he Countertop Shop, owned by Babcock Lumber Company, on Mt. Everett Road at about 9:45 a.m.

Crews said the building was fully engulfed when they arrived and called for assistance. Shop manager Doug DeTal was the first on the scene.

“Just something caught my eye. Before I could say fire, a fire burst out through the ceiling over the compressor room. (I) yelled fire and everybody ran,” said DeTal.

The Top Shop makes laminate counter-tops for home improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot.

Fire crews from Hubbard, Vienna, Brookfield and two other departments arrived on scene to keep the fire from spreading as heavy smoke poured out of the building.

“Apparently, there was a fire above the dust collection system. We made entry, put the fire out. Basically, we searched for extensions throughout the building,” said Eagle Joint Fire District Chief Ron Stanish. Luckily, the manager noticed the fire quickly and tried to extinguish it and knock the flames down until we got here, but yeah, it could have turned into something pretty big.”

Stanish said the blaze was likely caused by a light that ignited a dust bin. The damage estimate is between $10,000 to $15,000.

General Manager Dave Ehrler said they hope to re-open the shop by Monday. In the meantime, they plan to have their Pittsburgh location help with fulfilling the 40 orders that were set to come out of the Hubbard shop.

blog comments powered by Disqus