Egypt investigates new student food poisoning case

CAIRO (AP) — A security official says that Egyptian authorities are investigating a new case of food poisoning at Al-Azhar, Cairo’s centuries-old seat of Sunni Muslim learning.

The official says the investigation opened Tuesday.

Some 160 university students fell sick after a tuna meal on Monday, sparking protests by colleagues angry over the quality of basic services in the university hostel, the official said. The students blocked the main road leading to the university, and security forces fired tear gas to quell the protest.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.

The university’s president was fired earlier this month after the first case of poisoning.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus