At Thursday’s Mahoning County Commissioners meeting, eight students were recognized for winning the Green Team’s 2013 poster contest.
The Recycling Division received 1,390 entries from Mahoning County public, private and parochial schools. Each poster described a recycling or anti-litter theme, and all of the first-place posters were made into placemats to be used at area restaurants and non-profit organizations.
Some of the restaurants and agencies that will be using the placemats include American Legion Post 737, Belleria in Canfield, Carchedi’s, Denny’s in Boardman and Austintown, Dino’s, Ellsworth VFW, Poland Friendly’s, Golden Rye Grille, Landmark, Operating Engineers Hall, Perkins in Canfield and Damascus, Saxon Club and Yankee Kitchen.
Dominion East Ohio Gas gave each winner a gift certificate. Each winning student also received a certificate from the Green Team.
The winners were:
- Ava Bosnjak, Stadium Drive Elementary in Boardman
- Cameron Orville, St. Nicholas School in Struthers
- Arianna Morales, West Boulevard Elementary in Boardman
- Haley Trolio, Dobbins Elementary in Poland
- Stefania Marciniak, Canfield Village Middle School
- Hayley Figueroa, Campbell Middle School
- Mitch Medved, Poland Middle School
- Joseph Chepke, St. Joseph/Immaculate Heart of Mary in Austintown