[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/iframe?aspect_ratio=16×9&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&page_count=5&pf_id=9626&show_title=1&va_id=4044031&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=360 type=iframe]
AMVETS Post 44 in Struthers needs the community’s help again with the Home Depot Foundation’s “Aprons in Action” contest.
After winning $25,000 from Home Depot in September, the post now has a shot at winning $250,000. The group will be competing against 10 other monthly winners from across the country, including:
- June 2012 winner: Volunteers of America Greater Ohio (Columbus)
- July 2012 winner: Stiggy’s Dogs (Howell, Mich.)
- October 2012 winner: Michigan Veterans Foundation (Detroit, Mich.)
- November 2012 winner: Low Income Housing Institute (Seattle, Wash.)
- December 2012 winner: VFW Post 2777 (Burton, Mich.)
- January 2013 winner: The 313 Project (Detroit, Mich.)
- February 2013 winner: Grand Rapids Home for Veterans (Grand Rapids, Mich.)
- March 2013 winner: Active Heroes (Louisville, Ken.)
- April 2013 winner: Saratoga County RPC-VETHELP (Ballston Spa, N.Y.)
Voting will continue on Facebook until May 31. Struthers AMVETS would like to continue improving their career center.
“That won’t be just for building supplies. That’s money that we can do things with for the community, for other veterans, and really make it worthwhile,” said Post Commander Jan Brown.
This year, the Struthers Post was chosen to be a” Call of Duty Endowment National Career Center,” working with veterans to find meaningful jobs in the community.
The organization with the most votes at the end of the month will win the top prize of $250,000. Organizations with the second and third most votes will receive $150,000 and $100,000 from The Home Depot Foundation, respectively.
The AMVETS Post is currently in sixth place with 910 votes.