AKRON, Ohio (AP) — Attorneys for a man accused in the sledgehammer slayings of a prominent northeastern Ohio couple say an evaluation may be necessary to determine if he is competent to stand trial.
Eighteen-year-old Shawn Eric Ford Jr. faces capital murder charges in the April slayings of Jeffrey and Margaret Schobert in their home in New Franklin, near Akron.
The (Akron) Beacon Journal (http://bit.ly/ZPbsj2 ) reports that Ford appeared in court Tuesday. His attorneys told the judge they still need to meet with medical experts before deciding whether a competency evaluation is needed.
The defense said last month that a written plea of not guilty by reason of insanity would likely be filed, but that hasn’t happened yet.
Ford also is charged in an earlier assault of the couple’s teenage daughter.
Information from: Akron Beacon Journal, http://www.ohio.com