Wednesday was a big night for seven teachers in the Youngstown Catholic Diocese.
The Golden Apple awards were presented at Youngstown Country Club. The awards were presented by Youngstown Catholic Schools Superintendent Dr. Nicholas Wolsonovich and Msgr. Robert Siffrin, vicar general for the diocese. Master of ceremonies was WYTV news anchor Stan Boney.
The awards are given to teachers that go above and beyond to assist in the spiritual and educational development of their students. They are nominated for the award by their peers, and it is usually a school principal.
The winners not only received a Golden Apple paperweight, but also a check for $5,000.
The Youngstown Catholic Diocese consists of six counties: Mahoning, Trumbull, Columbiana, Portage, Stark and Ashtabula.
The winners were:
- Patricia Anthony, a kindergarten teacher at St. Rose Elementary, Girard
- Deborah Beasley, a 7th and 8th grade teacher at St. Charles Elementary, Boardman
- Stephanie Cooper, a theology and math teacher at Central Catholic High School, Canton
- Cassandra Donofrio, a 7th grade teacher at St. Joseph Elementary, Randolph
- Lisa Grossi, a 6th grade teacher at St. Joseph Elementary, Canton
- Sr. Charlotte Italiano, Ursuline Preschool and Kindergarten, Canfield. She has taught in the diocese for 62 years.
- Heather Zernich, a 4th grade teacher at St. Aloysius Elementary, East Liverpool