[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/iframe?aspect_ratio=16×9&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&page_count=5&pf_id=9626&show_title=1&va_id=4078850&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=360 type=iframe]
Youngstown City Schools honored its Teacher of the Year at a banquet Thursday at the Davis Center at Fellows Riverside Gardens.
Holly Welch teaches bio-technology at Choffin Career and Technical Center. She has been with Youngstown City Schools for 12 years and has been nominated three other times for the award in 2005, 2006 and 2008.
Welch is a 2000 graduate of Geneva College, where she earned a Bachelor of Science degree in biology. She earned a Master of Science degree in education from Youngstown State University in 2008 and also earned a Career Technical Education Certificate in 2008 from Kent State University, receiving her master teacher certification in 2009.
Welch said she has a passion for teaching and looks forward to school each day. That passion rubs off on her students as they are eager to learn.
“We just have this natural rapport that there is a great flow in the classroom. The kids know I care about them and love them and I want to see them succeed, and I feel in turn they wanna do their best. They wanna make me happy and proud and of course that just makes everybody happy when they are doing the best that they can,” Welch said.
One teacher from each of the district’s buildings was nominated for the Teacher of the Year honor. The nominees were:
- Selena Cotton, University Project Learning Center
- Natalie Elkins, William Holmes McGuffey Elementary School
- MaryJo Ferguson, Volney Middle School
- Leane Gaskins, Taft Elementary School
- Diane Herdman, Chaney High School
- Timothy Kinkead, Youngstown Early College
- Colette Kovach, King Elementary School
- Judith Lesnansky, Kirkmere Elementary School
- Mark Lyden, Rayen Early College
- Juanita Rogers, Williamson Elementary School
- Jennifer Roseck, Wilson Middle School
- Janice Ross, P. Ross Berry Middle School
- Paula Valentini, Harding Elementary School
- Ronald Walcott, Paul C. Bunn Elementary School