Fort Hood victims upset; suspect can question them

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) — A judge will decide whether to delay the murder trial of the Fort Hood shooting suspect by three months to allow the accused Army psychiatrist more time to prepare.

Maj. Nidal Hasan requested the delay after Col. Tara Osborn ruled Monday that he can represent himself. But Osborn, the judge, scolded Hasan, reminding him that he previously said he wouldn’t need extra time. Jury selection is set for Wednesday.

Hasan faces the death penalty or life without parole if convicted of 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder in the 2009 attack on the Texas Army post.

Some survivors say they’re angry that Hasan can approach and question them.

Retired Staff Sgt. Shawn Manning says testifying will be more difficult but that he’s prepared.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus