Conn. bill includes up to $50M for Newtown school

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut lawmakers are setting aside up to $50 million to help Newtown build a new school to replace the one where a shooting massacre took place last year.

The money was tucked into a bonding bill passed Wednesday, the final day of the legislative session. It’s among municipal grants for infrastructure projects and programs including planning, property acquisition, site preparation and construction.

A Newtown task force last month voted to tear down Sandy Hook Elementary School, where 20 children and six educators were killed. It voted to construct a new building on the site.

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said Thursday the state left it up to the town’s residents to decide what to do with the school. He says these are the people “who have been most adversely impacted.”

Efforts are being made to secure federal money.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s