NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — Officials in Newtown, Conn., say their school system was placed on lockdown briefly after someone implied a threat during a phone call to a school near the site of last year’s school shooting massacre.
Interim schools superintendent John Reed says the threat was made Monday afternoon in a call to Hawley Elementary School. Reed hasn’t released details but says no one was hurt.
Hawley is less than 2 miles from Sandy Hook Elementary School, where a gunman killed 20 first-graders and six educators in December. Newtown has increased school security since then.
Reed says police Chief Michael Kehoe and other officials responded to Hawley and joined officers stationed there to investigate. He says the chief requested the district-wide lockdown.
The lockdown ended when schools dismissed for the day. It caused busing delays throughout the district.