NATO denies UN report airstrike killed 3 children

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The NATO military coalition in Afghanistan has denied a United Nations report that a coalition airstrike killed three children in eastern Afghanistan.

The United Nations Children’s Fund cited the alleged incident in a statement this week condemning a steep rise in child casualties. The statement said an aerial attack by international forces killed three children in the eastern province of Kunar this month.

The U.S.-led coalition said Friday that the report was “simply not true,” and it had no aircraft operating in Kunar at the time of the June 6 incident. It said discussions with the provincial governor indicated that reports of a drone strike had been a misunderstanding.

UNICEF insisted Friday that it verifies all its figures and stands by the Kunar report.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus