Pa. man wins murder dismissal, will seek money

UNIONTOWN, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania man who spent nearly 25 years in prison will seek compensation from the state after a judge dismissed two homicide charges against him.

The Tribune-Review of Pittsburgh reported (http://bit.ly/14BIRiQ ) that a Fayette County judge also ruled Friday that the charges against David Munchinski can’t be refiled.

It caps a long process that included a federal judge’s 2011 decision that Munchinski had been wrongfully convicted because of the “outrageous misconduct” of two prosecutors in the original 1987 case. Munchinski has since been free on bond, pending a retrial.

Lawyer Noah Geary says Munchinski wasn’t retried within the required 120 days after a federal appeals court upheld the wrongful conviction ruling.

Geary says if Munchinski can’t settle with the state, he’ll sue in federal court.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus