Philly: Inspector said collapse ‘wasn’t my fault’

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A Philadelphia official says a building inspector left a videotaped message before his apparent suicide saying a deadly building collapse wasn’t his fault.

Mayoral spokesman Mark McDonald says he viewed the brief video Friday. He says inspector Ronald Wagenhoffer said on the video he was devastated and couldn’t sleep because of last week’s collapse, which killed six people. He says Wagenhoffer used the words: “It wasn’t my fault.”

Police say Wagenhoffer apparently shot himself in the chest Wednesday in his truck.

Records show Wagenhoffer inspected the downtown site before and after demolition work began in February and an adjacent, related project May 14.

McDonald tells The Associated Press that Wagenhoffer said on the video he wished he’d been more diligent. But McDonald says he doesn’t think that referred to the May 14 visit.

blog comments powered by Disqus