[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=16x9&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1371266347&height=360&page_count=5&pf_id=9626&show_title=1&va_id=4097994&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=360 div_id=videoplayer-1371266347 type=script]
The American Red Cross of the Mahoning Valley held its 2013 Acts of Courage and Spirit of the Mahoning Valley Awards banquet at the DeYor Performing Arts Center at Powers Auditorium in downtown Youngstown on Friday.
The Spirit of the Mahoning Valley Award, which celebrates the contributions of companies that enhance the quality of life in the Mahoning Valley, was presented to Vallourec Star, formerly V & M Star. Past recipients of the award were Covelli Enterprises in 2012 and the 910th Airlift Wing in 2011.
This was the third year for the Acts of Courage Awards, which the Red Cross said “celebrates those heroic and selfless individuals whose acts of courage exemplify the humanitarian mission of the Red Cross.”
This year’s recipients included:
- Robb Braun, an Air Force police officer, provides security and law enforcement at the Youngstown Air Reserve Station in Vienna. On May 15, 2012, he was shopping at the Sam’s Club in Warren when he saw an elderly woman unconscious on the floor and began performing CPR with the help of another woman. After reviving the victim, he provided EMS personnel with information that helped save her life.
- Anthony Agler, 16, who helped save the life of his friend, 8-year-old Dante Walker, last August. The boys went for a bike ride on Summit Avenue in Niles when Dante lost control and crashed his bike. He had a severe laceration to his groin area, which Anthony applied pressure to until rescue workers arrived.
- Tricia Kost, who helped save the life of her neighbor, Carol Miller, in March after Miller collapsed while walking her dogs.
- Squad 33 of the Youngstown Fire Department consisting of Lt. Ron Moran and firefighters Brian Dothard, Tim Jones and Michael Mahon. They pulled a truck driver out of his cab on Feb. 14 after his gasoline tanker rolled over on the Route 7/Route 11 interchange.
- Jeff and Wendy Thomas, who performed CPR on their neighbor, Scott Hadley, after he suffered a heart attack on Dec. 17.
- Youngstown police officers Joe Moran, Chad Zubal and Malik Mostella, who rescued three people from a burning house on the South Side last July.
- Rod Schaaf, James Baugh and Curtis Byers, who rescued Don Hromyak after he fell through the ice at Mosquito Creek Reservoir in February.