Administrator opens probe of spill claims lawyer

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The administrator of a multibillion-dollar settlement arising from the 2010 BP oil spill in the Gulf is pledging to thoroughly investigate allegations of misconduct by one of his staff attorneys.

Court-appointed claims administrator Patrick Juneau said in a statement Friday that both BP and claimants “rightfully expect fairness and objectivity from this claims process.”

London-based BP issued a statement saying only a “comprehensive and independent investigation will ensure the integrity of the claims process.”

BP previously sued to block what could be billions of dollars in payouts to businesses over the spill. The company says Juneau has made decisions that expose BP to fictitious losses that were never contemplated in the settlement.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus