Police say SKorean man spurred NJ school lockdown

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korean police say a local man is responsible for prank 911 calls that prompted school lockdowns in New Jersey last year.

The Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency said Monday in a statement that a 19-year-old surnamed Lee made calls from South Korea to a New Jersey communications center and threatened to use an AK-47 to kill students at Hackettstown High School.

The calls led schools in the northwestern New Jersey town and at Centenary College to keep students inside for four hours while police searched the area.

South Korean police began investigating after U.S. authorities traced the calls to South Korea. Police say Lee used a smartphone application to make the calls.

Police declined to provide contact information for Lee. The statement says he’s serving in the military.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s