Rebels in east Congo claim army has attacked them

GOMA, Congo (AP) — Rebels in eastern Congo say the Congolese army has attacked their positions, ending a six-week lull in fighting.

A spokesman for the M23 rebel movement, Kabasha Amani, said government troops attacked rebel positions early Saturday.

He said the fighting took place in the village of Munigi, about 6 miles (10 kilometers) north of the provincial capital Goma, which the M23 briefly occupied last November.

Amani said there had been casualties and the fighting was continuing.

An army spokesman Colonel Olivier Hamuli said the fighting on Saturday was between the rebels and Congolese ‘Mai-Mai’ militia. He denied that government troops were involved.

The government and M23 resumed peace negotiations in Uganda in early June.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus