Court keeps British prince’s letters private

LONDON (AP) — Britain’s High Court says it has upheld a decision that prevents the disclosure of letters sent by Prince Charles to senior government ministers.

The High Court ruled Tuesday that Attorney General Dominic Grieve acted reasonably when he decided last year that the public had no right to see Charles’ correspondence with seven U.K. government departments.

Grieve says the “particularly frank” letters reflect Charles’ personal views and that Britons might not think that he is politically neutral — as a monarch must be. The worry is that the institution would be undermined.

The Guardian newspaper has campaigned for eight years to have the documents released, claiming they would shed light on how the heir to the throne attempted to influence government ministers despite holding no elected position.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s