Couple escapes fire in Salem

Salem fire

[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=16x9&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1374576270&height=360&page_count=5&pf_id=9627&show_title=1&va_id=4156477&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=360 div_id=videoplayer-1374576270 type=script]

A couple and their bird on Tuesday escaped a fire in Salem.

Crews were called to a home on state Youngstown Salem Road around 4:30 a.m. According to firefighters, a man inside the house woke up, smelled smoke and called 911.

The couple made it out of the house safely and firefighters were able to rescue a bird whose cage was lodged underneath the collapsed roof. A pet cat died in the fire.

Green Township Assistant Fire Chief Mike Blythe said the fire started in the roof. A back room and the roof were heavily damaged.

“Once we made entry, there was no fire in the main part of the house,” said Blythe. “We knew we had an attic fire. We proceeded to pull the ceiling and start fighting the fire from the ground floor up to the attic area.”

Several departments responded to the fire including Salem, Damascus, Green and Perry Township.

Youngstown Salem Road between Pine Lake Road and Route 165 was closed.

The state fire marshal is investigating.

blog comments powered by Disqus