Weiner presses on despite growing calls to quit mayor’s race

NEW YORK (AP) — Anthony Weiner (WEE’-nur) is pressing ahead with his bid for mayor despite growing calls for him to drop out of the race over a new sexting scandal.

Weiner has been a favorite in the polls since he launched his political comeback attempt in late May. But he was greeted with boos as he took the stage at a public housing meeting Wednesday evening. By the end of his remarks, however, the crowd was cheering loudly.

Afterward, Weiner said he had expected that revelations would emerge by the end of the campaign, adding “some of them have.” But he says his campaign is too important to abandon over “embarrassing personal things” becoming public.

The latest scandal erupted Tuesday after the gossip website The Dirty posted X-rated messages and a crotch shot it said Weiner exchanged with a woman last year while using the online alias “Carlos Danger.”

The first poll since the latest scandal broke is scheduled to be released Thursday afternoon.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s