Dubai closes the book on Internet beating case

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Dubai’s public prosecutor says all charges have been dropped in a high-profile dispute that landed an Indian man in jail for posting Internet video of an apparent road rage beating.

The arrest brought a spotlight on the United Arab Emirates’ laws defining the limits of the public domain and citizen journalism.

Sunday’s statement from Dubai’s chief prosecutor, Eissa al-Humaidan, says the case was closed after all sides withdrew their complaints.

The Indian man was arrested earlier this month on charges of “sharing” possible evidence of a criminal act. But pressure also came from the family of the Emirati man shown striking a South Asian driver in a roadway dispute.

The family complained the Internet video defamed their relative.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus