Official: Worker’s cigarette caused Pa. gas blast

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A city councilman says a contractor’s cigarette caused a gas explosion that leveled a Philadelphia home, injuring eight people.

Inspectors at the scene of Monday’s explosion concluded a gas leak was to blame for leveling the unoccupied home, which was being remodeled. On Tuesday, they returned as they try to figure out what caused the leak.

Councilman Mark Squilla was at the scene and told reporters that a contractor had been trying to light the pilot on a water heater. At one point, Squilla says, the man lit a cigarette and the house exploded.

The contractor remains in critical condition with burns. Seven others were treated for minor injuries.

The explosion comes less than two months after a collapse that killed six people at a downtown demolition site.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus