NATO says 3 service members killed in Afghanistan

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — NATO said three of its service members were killed Sunday in eastern Afghanistan but provided no further details.

The statement did not provide a nationality nor details of the type of attack that killed the three.

Troops from various nations serve in eastern Afghanistan.

The deaths bring to 103 the number of foreign troops killed so far this year. Of those, 78 were from the United States.

Foreign combat troops are due to leave Afghanistan at the end of 2014.

In other violence Saturday and Sunday, authorities said four explosions in the Charcheno district of southern Uruzgan province killed seven civilians.

Uruzgan provincial police chief spokesman Fared Ayel said a father and two of his children were killed Sunday when the motorcycle they were on hit a roadside bomb. He said that another three bombs in the same district on Saturday killed four people and wounded three.

Violence has been increasing around Afghanistan, especially in the east and south, as insurgents try to take advantage of the withdrawal of foreign troops to regain lost territory.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus