Official: Bodies of 8 abducted Afghans found

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A provincial official says the bodies of eight Afghans abducted last week and then killed by insurgents have been found, dumped along the country’s main north-south highway.

Mohammad Ali Ahmadi, deputy governor of Ghazni province, said Tuesday the eight men were civilians snatched off a bus by insurgents during last week’s Eid al-Fitr holiday that marked the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

Insurgents regularly pull over buses travelling on the highway from the capital, Kabul, to southern Kandahar province looking for government employees, who they then either shoot or hold for ransom.

The Taliban have said government employees, Afghan troops and those who work for the NATO-led international coalition are targets.

Afghan civilian casualties have spiked this year as the Taliban stepped up their campaign of violence.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus