Prince Harry returns from Angola charity trip

LONDON (AP) — Britain’s Prince Harry has returned from Angola, where he visited a landmine clearance charity championed by his late mother, Princess Diana.

The HALO Trust charity said Saturday the 28-year-old prince visited the Angolan town of Cuito Cuanavale, which saw heavy fighting during the southern African nation’s 1975-2002 civil war.

The group said Harry toured minefields and met beneficiaries of the group’s work.

Harry was following in the footsteps of Diana, who visited minefields in Angola in 1997 and drew global attention to the charity’s efforts to clear them.

Kensington Palace said in a statement that Harry was pleased to see the progress HALO had made and that he was keen to continue supporting its work.

The prince visited minefields with HALO in Mozambique in 2010.

The group said that it began clearing mines in Cuito Cuanavale about three years after the end of Angola’s civil war, and that it has so far located and destroyed more than 21,300 mines.

The charity, founded in Afghanistan in 1988, now works in countries including Cambodia, Laos and Zimbabwe.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus