State officials avoid penalties over Benghazi

WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department has put four officials back to work after months of paid administrative leave for failures during last year’s attack on a diplomatic outpost in Benghazi, Libya, that killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

House Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa said Tuesday that the officials will not be disciplined. State spokeswoman Marie Harf said they will be reassigned to new positions at the department.

The officials worked for the Bureau of Diplomatic Security and the Bureau of Near East Affairs. A State Department report singled out both bureaus for harsh criticism.

It said there was a lack of cooperation and confusion over protection at the mission in Benghazi, a city in eastern Libya that was relatively lawless after the revolution that toppled Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s