South Africa details military deployment in Congo

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — South Africa says it is contributing 1,345 troops to a United Nations military mission with a mandate to fight rebel groups in eastern Congo in an effort to bring peace to the country.

The office of South African President Jacob Zuma said Friday that the $40 million deployment started on June 13 and ends March 31, 2014.

South Africa’s role in the U.N.’s “intervention brigade” in eastern Congo had previously been announced, but Zuma’s statement offered new details. The South Africans comprise about half of the troops in the new unit.

South African forces have been involved in previous peace efforts in Congo. Military spokesman Siphiwe Dlamini says the new deployment is “more robust.”

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus