Judge weighs request to dismiss Earhart suit

CASPER, Wyo. (AP) — A federal judge says he plans to rule soon on a request to dismiss a lawsuit by a man who claims he was defrauded when he donated money to search for the plane of Amelia Earhart after it had already been discovered in the South Pacific.

U.S. District Judge Scott Skavdahl heard arguments Tuesday.

Timothy Mellon, son of the late philanthropist Paul Mellon, in June sued the International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery of Delaware and its executive director, Richard E. Gillespie.

Mellon, of Riverside, Wyo., says the group solicited $1 million from him last year without telling him it had found Earhart’s plane two years earlier. Earhart’s plane disappeared over the South Pacific in 1937.

The group and Gillespie deny that they found the wreckage.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s