Yemen on alert over fear of suicide attacks

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Yemeni officials are warning of imminent attacks, distributing a photo of a suspected al-Qaida militant believed to be plotting suicide bombings with others.

New intelligence shows a wanted militant in his 20s is believed to be preparing car bombs to use in suicide attacks along with two others, an official said Monday, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the press.

He added that security measures were beefed up near foreign missions and state institutions in Sanaa.

The Defense Ministry said earlier in the day that two explosive devices had gone off in attacks targeting two buses carrying soldiers in Sanaa, leaving no causalities.

Al-Qaida in Yemen is believed to be the terror group’s most dangerous branch in the world.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus