Al-Qaida’s Yemen branch confirms commander’s death

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Yemen’s al-Qaida branch has confirmed that a U.S. strike killed one of its leaders at the end of last month.

It said in a statement posted on a militant website Saturday that Qaid al-Dahab was killed by a “perfidious American air raid” in the el-Manaseh region of Bayda province, along with one other person.

Yemeni officials reported his death last month, saying the strike was likely by a U.S. drone. They said two were killed with al-Dahab.

Al-Dahab was believed to be al-Qaida’s leader in the southern province of Bayda, one of its former strongholds. The statement praised him for having waged “jihad” for years, saying he had lost a hand in a previous battle.

The United States conducts regular drone strikes in Yemen but rarely confirms individual attacks.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus