Correction: Turkey-Protests story

ISTANBUL (AP) — In a story Sept. 11 about Turkish protests, The Associated Press reported erroneously that demonstrator Ahmet Atakan, died on a Sunday. Atakan took part in a protest on the night of Monday, Sept. 9. He was declared dead at a hospital early on Tuesday, Sept. 10.

A corrected version of the story is below:

Turkey police clash with protesters for 3rd night

Turkish police clash for 3rd straight night with demonstrators after death of protester

ISTANBUL (AP) — Demonstrators clashed with police in southern Turkey on Wednesday for a third straight night, a day after the funeral of a 22-year-old protester whose death at a protest has reignited anti-government anger in Turkey.

Clashes also broke out in parts of Ankara and Istanbul. In the southern city of Hatay, a group of about 200 people confronted police who then responded with tear gas and water cannons.

The death of Ahmet Atakan early Tuesday under disputed circumstances has renewed a protest movement that had cooled after thousands took to the streets in June in an expression of discontent against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s