Police seek author of note that led to beaten teen

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Police responding to a typed, anonymous note slipped under their door helped save the life of a severely beaten teenager found in an abandoned Anchorage house scheduled for demolition two days later, authorities said Thursday.

Police hoped the author of the note would come forward with more information about the situation.

Police have identified the teen as 18-year-old James Clinton and said he remained unconscious and in critical condition.

The investigation began Monday night with the note to police at the University of Alaska Anchorage. Chief Rick Shell said two officers were on duty at their desks in a squad room about 8:30 p.m. when one of them spotted it on the floor.

“He picked it up, read it, let the other officer read it,” Shell said. “The other officer saw content that led him to believe that the Anchorage Police Department should be involved.”

Officers drove to the nearby home in downtown Anchorage and found Clinton being held against his will in the basement. Asked if anyone was at the home with Clinton when officers arrived, Anita Shell said detectives were not releasing that information.

The man’s injuries were extensive, said police spokeswoman Anita Shell.

“It’s my understanding he was beaten around the head and the face, the whole body,” she said.

The home was owned by Covenant House, which operates a shelter for homeless teenagers across the street. Director Alison Kear said the home was scheduled to be knocked down Wednesday to expand a parking lot.

Wrought iron mesh had covered the windows and doors were locked, Kear said. A security company had patrolled outside. The only access she could guess was a second-floor window not much bigger than a dog door.

“How they were able to enter there is perplexing to me,” she said.

Shell could not say Thursday whether the crime scene was the abandoned home or elsewhere.

“We have not yet spoken to the young man because of his medical state,” she said.

In either case, she said, investigators allowed a scheduled demolition of the home to move forward and a wrecking crew used heavy machinery on Thursday to knock down the building.

University Police Chief Shell praised the quick response by both departments.

“This was just an absolutely outstanding case of two officers taking something that could have been fairly innocuous and taking it seriously,” Shell said. “It ended up saving the young man’s life.”

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s