Al-Qaida militants kill 38 troops in Yemen attack

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — A Yemeni military official says coordinated attacks by al-Qaida militants in a southern province have killed at least 38 soldiers and wounded dozens.

Maj. Raed Mohammed Nasser says the attacks took place at dawn Friday in Shabwa province. He says the militants, taking advantage of heavy fog, surprised the troops in barracks in bases in the Maysaa and Kamp areas.

Nasser says heavy clashes are still underway near a third military encampment, in the al-Ain area, where militants detonated a car bomb outside the barracks.

Nasser told The Associated Press that eight militants have also died in the fighting so far.

Yemeni authorities are leading a war against Al-Qaida’s local branch, considered by Washington as one of the world’s most dangerous terror groups.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s