Trial delayed for Army general facing sex charges

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (AP) — The Fort Bragg court-martial of a U.S. Army general facing assault charges has been postponed.

The trial of Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair had been scheduled to begin next Monday. A statement from Fort Bragg on Tuesday said the judge overseeing the case rescheduled the trial for Jan. 7 after a request from Sinclair’s defense team.

Sinclair’s chief civilian lawyer Rich Scheff said the delay was triggered by several procedural issues, including the appeal of pretrial motions denied by the trial judge.

Sinclair has pleaded not guilty to eight criminal charges including forcible sodomy, indecent acts, violating orders and adultery. Most stem from a three-year affair with a female captain who says Sinclair twice forced her to perform oral sex while she served under his command in Iraq and Afghanistan.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus