Here are the top plays our cameras caught from week five of the high school football season.
5. Zallow off to the races. Warren JFK used big scoring plays to jump out in front of Brookfield early. This was one of them. Michael Roscoe somehow got the pass off to Chad Zallow, who turned up field and turned on the jets. Zallow, a state champion sprinter, out ran the Warrior defense for a 75 yard touchdown.
4. Evan’s leaping grab. Poland’s been represented here in the Top Plays by their running attack. But Jacob Wolfe’s lob to the corner of the end zone was caught by a leaping Tyler Evan for a seven yard score.
3. Reddick weaves for six. Lakeview, Pennsylvania’s Blake Reddick didn’t cover a lot of ground, but did so by navigating small spaces. Reddick patiently cut and eluded Kennedy Catholic defenders on a 16 yard touchdown run.
2. Hawkins powers through. Sharon’s Carnell Hawkins scored five touchdowns against Reynolds. This was his best. Taking the hand-off, Hawkins was hit just a few steps into the run. But the tailback powered through the would-be tacklers with a stiff arm, bounced to the outside, then cut back in to cap the 50 yard touchdown scamper.
1. Great Scott. Wearing a cast on his left hand for a broken thumb, Hubbard’s LJ Scott was not 100%. But the junior barreled through three Struthers defenders just past the line of scrimmage, bounced to the outside, met another Wildcat with a stiff arm, cut up the sidelines and finished it off by hopping into the end zone. A 46 yard touchdown, the final of three in the ballgame, good enough for our Top Play of Week 5.