NYC Opera to file for bankruptcy

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City Opera says the company will file for bankruptcy protection and wind down operations after failing to raise enough money to stage the rest of its season.

The company announced Sept. 12 that it needed $7 million by the end of September.

Spokeswoman Risa Heller said Tuesday that City Opera “did not achieve the goal of its emergency appeal. Today, the board and management will begin the necessary financial and operational steps to wind down the company, including initiating the chapter 11 process.”

As of last Thursday, the company said just $1.5 million had been pledged. It hoped to raise $1 million on Kickstarter.com but a total of $301,019 from 2,108 donors was pledged on the website.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s