Children of US couple in death probe leave Qatar

DOHA, Qatar (AP) — The family of an American couple facing charges in Qatar of starving to death their 8-year-old adopted daughter says the Gulf state has allowed their two other children to return to the United States.

A statement Monday says the children, also adopted from Africa, arrived Saturday from Qatar and are staying with relatives in Washington State.

Last week, a judge in Qatar ordered Matthew and Grace Huang to remain jailed pending their next hearing scheduled for Nov. 6.

They are charged with starving and mistreating their Ghanaian-born daughter Gloria, who died in January. The former California couple says the girl died from medical problems complicated by anorexia-like bouts.

Matthew Huang was working on water engineering projects as part of infrastructure improvements for Qatar’s hosting of the 2022 World Cup.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s