YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) — Thirteen people became American citizens Thursday morning at the Mahoning County Courthouse.
Mahoning County Probate Judge Mark Belinky presided over the naturalization ceremony. Among those in attendance were representatives of the Daughters of the American Revolution and James McGuire from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.
After the 13 took the Oath of Allegiance, Belinky took notice of the new citizens’ country of origin by naming some notable people from those nations.
He said that showed there were no limits to what people can achieve in America.
Among the countries of origin were Sierra Leone, Iran and Nigeria. In addition to citizenship, each of the 13 also got an American flag and certificate.
Those who became citizens and their country of origin were:
- Ernestine Marshall, Sierra Leone
- Lung Thi Nguyen, Vietnam
- Xuyen Kin Nguyen, Vietnam
- Jai Verbal, Iran
- Mary Viteri Murillo, Ecuador
- Ali Daood Minwer Alabadi, Jordan
- Karma Rafiq Ramez Alhaddad, Jordan
- Balbir Kaur, India
- Madhavi Tushar Shah, India
- Ioannis Konstantinos Velonis, Greece
- Sabah Ali Husseinen, Egypt
- Funmilayo Carloline Olarewaju, Nigeria
- Samuel Ayodele Olarewaju, Nigeria