Chief: Candle caused apartment fire

APARTMENT_FIRE000000

BOARDMAN, Ohio (WKBN) — An unattended candle was the cause of an apartment fire in Boardman on Sunday afternoon, according to Boardman Fire Chief George Brown.

The fire in the 6500 block of Lockwood Boulevard displaced several families. When firefighters arrived at the scene, there was heavy smoke and flames.

Off duty firefighters were called in to help fight the fire, along with mutual aid from Canfield.

The fire was in a bottom apartment on the left-hand side of the building. The man inside escaped, but had to leave without even any shoes on his feet.

“The occupant was in the back, already out. He had suffered, you can tell, he had suffered some smoke inhalation and everything. He’s being treated right now at the ambulance,” said Assistant Fire Chief Don Kloes.

Fire crews said the majority of the damage to the building was smoke-related, although they weren’t able to give an estimate on how much it will cost to fix.


WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus