Campbell fire injures resident

CAMPBELL, Ohio (WKBN) – A man was taken to the hospital following a fire at his home Monday afternoon.

A Campbell police officer on patrol noticed thick smoke in the area around 3:15 p.m. When he drove down Whipple Avenue, he found the house at 333 Whipple Ave. engulfed in flames.

Fire Chief Nick Hrelec said Lamarr Harris, 81, was using a propane stove to cook. Somehow, the valve got disconnected and shot a flame under the bed, catching the bed on fire.

Firefighters had to duck for cover at one point when ammunition stored in the bedroom started going off.

“The propane was feeding it. Then in the same bedroom he had a closet full of weapons and ammo and the ammo was going off while our guys were trying to attack the fire,” Hrelec said.

Harris suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to the hospital.

The home next door sustained damage to the siding.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s