Mom and children rescued from burning house


NESHANNOCK TOWNSHIP, Pa. (WKBN) – A mother and her two children are safe after a daring rescue from a fire in Lawrence County.

The fire broke out about 4:30 a.m. Wednesday at 1245 Kings Chapel Road in Neshannock Township. A passerby spotted the flames and called 911.

Neshannock police were the first on the scene. Patrolman Shawn Hill said heavy smoke and fire were coming from the house when he arrived and flames had already broken through a living room window. When he approached the house, Hill said Jennifer Bees, 40, was yelling from a bedroom window for help.

“I assisted her and assisted her son out of that window and got her out,” said Hill.

Officers performed CPR on the boy until emergency crews arrived.

When the fire initially broke out, Bees rescued her 6-year old daughter and left her with a neighbor while she went back in the burning house to rescue her 16-year-old son. That’s when she broke out the bedroom window and called for Hill to help.

Hill said in her panicked state, the mother believed a third child was trapped in the house but then realized the child was staying with her father.

“We just breathed a sigh of relief that no one else was inside the house,” said Hill. “It feels good to know everyone got out and there is nobody else left in the house.”

Bees and her son were injured in the fire. The 16-year-old boy was flown by medical helicopter to Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh. Bees was taken to Jameson Memorial Hospital with cuts to her feet. The 6-year-old girl was not injured.

Neshannock Fire Chief Brian Melcer said it will be some time before they can determine a cause in the fire. He said several hot spots prevented firefighters from entering the structure, and the flooring has been destroyed. The home is a total loss.

Melcer called Hill’s response heroic and said that if the passerby had not spotted the fire, the situation could have been extremely critical.

“They are very lucky to have gotten out. There was a lot of fire. They are lucky that the police officer was here and the passerby saw it,” said Melcer.

The State Fire Marshal is handling the investigation.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s