Fire consumes Mineral Ridge home

WEATHERSFIELD, Ohio (WKBN) — A space heater may be to blame for a fire that destroyed a home in Mineral Ridge Friday morning.

Firefighters were called just before 11 a.m. to the home on Morris Street off state Route 46. A father and son were home at the time.

Firefighters said the son noticed the space heater in his upstairs bedroom spark. When he went to get a fire extinguisher, the flames spread.

Firefighters said they had trouble getting into the home because several doorways were blocked by clutter. The blocked doors also gave the father and son just one exit out of the house, which delayed their escape.

“We started losing a portion of the rear roof and we had to evacuate and look at the situation again and take a look at another direction of extinguishment,” said Weathersfield Fire Chief Randy Pugh.

The owner’s son suffered minor burns on his arm trying to put out the fire. Pugh said the home is a total loss.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus