WARREN, Ohio (WKBN) – A man from Warren is dead after a fire tore through his home Friday afternoon.
Heavy smoke and flames engulfed the home on Oak Street S.W. just before 1:30 p.m.
Charles Cooper, 69, and his daughter in-law were in the house when the fire broke out.
“She had just come out of the bathroom and was getting dressed and heard a pop,” said Warren Fire Chief Ken Nussle. “She went to the living room and according to her, her father in-law was engulfed in flames.”
Cooper was killed in the fire. His brother Matthew Cooper said the Vietnam veteran was on oxygen and was also a smoker, which may have cost him his life.
Mathew Cooper owns the house and said he had just left with his wife to run some errands when the fire broke out.
“He was just a good hearted person,” said Cooper. “He would help anybody and everybody.”
The Red Cross and a local hospice, which was treating Cooper, are helping Matthew and his wife who not only lost a family member but everything they own in the fire.