Fire destroys Struthers business

STRUTHERS, Ohio (WKBN) — A dark column of smoke was reported from several miles away late Monday morning as a fire destroyed a business on Spring Street in Struthers.

Four fire departments, including Struthers, Poland, Campbell and Youngstown, were called to fight the large blaze at Struthers Chair Rental, 625 Spring St. Neighbors first called in reports of smoke just before 11 am.

“We saw a little puff of white smoke back in the corner and then all of a sudden this black smoke started coming out and we thought ‘oh boy, there’s a fire.’ I called 911 and they said that’s Struthers. And I said ‘you’ll need more than Struthers to put this out’,” said resident Joanne Bowshot.

Struthers Fire Chief Gary Mudryk said he does not yet know what started the fire.

“It was fully involved, so it’s really hard to tell. From what we see, it’s a complete loss,” Mudryk said.

He said it was very important the fire stay contained because just across the street, another business had recently refilled a propane tank.

“We were able to keep it to the building of origin and stopped it from spreading to any other building,” Mudryk said.

In addition to the chair business and Clemente Ambulance facilities, the building was home to a special piece of Struthers Fire Department history.

“The old Struthers 1945 Mack was kept at the far end of the building and they made sure they hurried up and got that out as we were arriving,” Mudryk said.

Michael Patrick bought the old city fire truck and restored it.

“Seen the smoke rising into the sky and when I got here, there wasn’t a soul around. I fought frantically to get it out. I probably don’t go to church as often as I should but the Lord was with me today and I was able to get it out,” Patrick said.

The fire broke out just as Memorial Day services around the area were wrapping up. The fire chief said fire crews were not delayed in getting to the scene.

blog comments powered by Disqus