YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) — The artistic talents of a handful of local students will be on display this summer at a number of local restaurants.
At their meeting on Wednesday, Mahoning County Commissioners recognized eight students who recently won the annual placemat poster contest sponsored by the Mahoning County Green Team.
The students used a recycling or anti-litter theme in the designs and were chosen from among 863 entries from around the county. Starting June 8, the winning placemats will be used at more than a dozen restaurants in the area to promote the Green Team’s message of reducing, reusing and recycling.
The winners received a Walmart gift card courtesy of Dominion as well as a certificate from the Green Team.
The winners were:
- Dominic Navarro, Western Reserve Elementary School
- Andrew Richards, West Boulevard Elementary School in Boardman
- Chance Cooper, West Boulevard Elementary
- Cailin Fowler, Stadium Drive Elementary School in Boardman
- Jordan Ramun, Lowellville K-12 school
- Shanice St. Thomas, St. Nicholas School in Struthers
- Anson Hankey, St. Christine School in Youngstown
- Bailey Snyder, West Branch Middle School
The restaurants that will display the placemats are:
- American Legion Post 737, Lake Milton
- Belleria Pizzeria in Canfield
- Carchedi’s Restaurant in Lowellville
- Denny’s Restaurant in Boardman and Austintown
- Dino’s Restaurant in North Jackson
- Ellsworth VFW Post 9571 in Ellsworth
- Friendly’s Restaurant in Poland
- Operating Engineer’s Hall, McClurg Road in Boardman
- Perkins Restaurant in Alliance and Canfield
- Saxon Club on Meridian Road in Austintown
- Yankee Kitchen in Boardman